- Remove any excess lipstick in an upward motion carefully with your fingers and a butter knife.
- Blot the stain in an up and down motion with a clean white cleaning rag or towel. Paper towel will work too. NEVER scrub or you'll spread the stain and work it further into your carpet.
- If you don't have 'Goo Gone' in the house, use petroleum jelly on the stain, again working in an upward motion with your fingers.
- Using another clean rag or towel, in an upward motion remove as much of the stain as you can.
- Finish by preparing a detergent solution: a squirt of Dawn dish soap into about a cup of warm water. Pour some of it onto your cleaning rag and gently work the spot from the edges to the center until the stain disappears. Follow with clear water on a cleaning rag or towel instead of soap, and then blot the area thoroughly with paper towels.
Today a somewhat frantic woman called and started the conversation with, "How do I get lipstick out of my carpet?" Now, there are a number of stain removers on the market that claim to remove lipstick stains like 'Goo Gone' and 'Stain-X,' but the issue in this case was that the woman was elderly and unable to get out of her home right away. She didn't have access to a computer to search for cleaning tips on the web, so I searched through my online resources to come up with products that she might have on hand to help her remove the stain right away. I suggested the following to her and was SO delighted to receive another call from her later in the afternoon exclaiming, "I got it out! THANK YOU!" It made my day. I thought I'd share these instructions in the event you are ever faced with this same lipstick dilemma.